I swim some. In August 2016 I swam the Marilyn Bell route across Lake Ontario, ratified by Solo Swims Ontario with swim master Shaun Chisholm. Marathon swimmer and adventurer Madhu Nagaraja led our fantastic team on the water. The swim was part of our ongoing efforts to raise funds and awareness for our Great Lakes. With GLOW: Great Lakes Open Water adventures, we promote and pursue adventures in our home waters and around the world.
On 12 August 2019, after an unsuccessful attempt the previous summer, I crossed the English Channel from Abbot’s Cliff to Cap Gris Nez in 12 hours and 2 minutes (unofficial), supported by my brother Andrew King, escorted by Simon Ellis and Marilyn Critchley piloting High Hopes, with CS&PF observer Graham Proctor.
Some of my swims
- English Channel: England to France (34km, 12hrs 2min, 16-18C, Channel rules)
- Lake Ontario: NOTL-Toronto (51km, 18hrs 35min 08sec, 22C, Channel rules)
- SSO Trial Swim, July 2016: Burlington Beach to Oakville (18.5km, 5hrs52m, 17C)
- SF Bridge-to-Bridge 2015. 1:24:05.8 (skin, tide assisted, 10km, 21C)
- FINA Masters 3k 2014. 0:47:22.2 (skin, flat water, 3km loop)
- Boston Light Swim 2014. 3:28:13 (skin, open water, 13.1km, 15C)
- Elma Couture 10k 2013. 2:37:13 (skin, flat water, 2.5km loop)
- LOST 10k 2012. 3:03:37 (skin, rough water, 3.3km circuit)
- English Bay Challenge 2012. 2:54:45 (wetsuit, open water, 9.1km)
- Eton 10k 2012. 2:20:45 (wetsuit, flat water, 2km loop)